Adult Male Circumcision In Malaysia: Risks, Benefits & Recovery
If you are interested in undergoing circumcision, you will wonder about adult circumcision methods, the risks, benefits and what to expect in circumcision.
Fret not, here is an all-you-need-to-know article about circumcision, specifically adult male circumcision in Malaysia.
Circumcision is a surgical procedure to remove the foreskin of a penis. During a circumcision, a doctor cuts away a portion of the foreskin and reattaches the section that remains to create a shorter section of skin.
Adult male circumcision is an option for men who were not circumcised as infants.
In Malaysia, adult male circumcision is gaining popularity where the most common reason is due to religious reasons – Muslim is a known religion that requires their follower (male) to get circumcised.
However, looking at the trend nowadays, a lot of Malaysian gentlemen, regardless of age, race or religion have started to undergo circumcision due to several benefits circumcision offers.
There are a variety of reasons why an adult male would want to get circumcised, for either personal or medical reasons.
BENEFITS OF ADULT MALE CIRCUMCISION
There are some evidences that circumcision has health benefits, including:
- Less risk of urinary tract infections
- A reduced risk of some sexually transmitted diseases in men, such as HIV, type 2 herpes, syphilis. The World Health Organisation recommends circumcision to reduce this risk
- Protection against penile cancer and a lower risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners
- Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin)
- Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location)
Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean.
RISKS OF ADULT MALE CIRCUMCISION
The benefits of adult male circumcision from the perspective of medical outweighs its downsides, however, like any other surgical procedures, there are risks in getting a circumcision. But the rate of complications is low.
The most common risks or complications of circumcision are:
- Bleeding and infection at the site of the circumcision
- Irritation of the glans
- Higher chance of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis)
- Risk of injury to the penis
Some rare complications that can happen to your penis are:
- Undercut or overcut – foreskin may be cut too short of too long
- Head of penis injury – wound inflicted to head of penis
Although there are risks involved in circumcision, you should not have to be too worried.
This is because in Malaysia, circumcision is a commonly performed procedure which is relatively safe. All of these complications, however, are very rare. Usually, bleeding after circumcision is minor (a few drops) and stops on its own with mild compression.
Complications are more likely when inexperienced or untrained providers carry out the procedure. Hence, it is important for circumcision to be done by expert surgical doctors to minimize the risk of complications
Now that your circumcision procedure is over, the real challenge usually begins when you get home. So it’s important to equip yourself with post-operative care knowledge.
For the first few days following the circumcision, the penis may be bruised, swollen, and painful. This is the normal expectation, and it should not be extremely painful.
Over the counter pain medications such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen should alleviate these symptoms.
You will have a dressing over the surgical area or one that covers the entire penis. The physician will instruct you on when to remove the dressing.
You should wear underwear you are comfortable in, but that is form-fitting enough to hold the entire penis upright. This will expedite circumcision recovery time by helping to minimize swelling.
Caring for yourself at home
- Get adequate rest as this expedites recovery
- Position your penis so that it is upright in your underwear to elevate it
- Try to walk each day and increase the amount by small increments daily
- Remove any dressing after the doctor gives the okay
- Shower or take a short bath after the bandage has been removed
Things to avoid
- Do not masturbate or have intercourse for 2 weeks. Erections are normal and to be left alone.
- Do not stimulate the penis.
Adult male circumcision is a very important and life-changing decision to make.
Hence, it is CRUCIAL to choose the right surgical doctor to perform the circumcision for you. Adult circumcision is different from baby and children circumcision as the doctor needs to consider the expansion/erection size of the penis before deciding on the cutting mark.
If you have any questions regarding the procedure, you can contact us at this number +6012-662-5552 or +6012-773-2074.
Alternatively, you can arrange for a personal consultation session with our doctors by visiting our branches in Bangsar, KL City, TTDI or Mont Kiara.
When it comes to the “Snip”, everyone needs to start somewhere.